Nylon 101 is an excellent choice when you need a material that offers wear resistance and requires reduced lubrication. It is available from Modern Plastics in sheet, rod, tube and plate forms, from such manufacturers as Ensinger-Hyde, Quadrant Engineering Plastic Products, Sustaplast, and Cast Nylons. The mining, aircraft, food, and construction industries are but some of the areas where this material provides outstanding utility. Nylon 101 (Type 6/6, Polyamide) – as manufactured by Quadrant Engineering Plastic Products is a standard all-purpose extruded grade of Nylon sheet. Nylon 101, of all the unmodified nylons, is the strongest, most rigid nylon, and has one of the highest melting points. It is commonly specified for screw machined electrical insulators and food contact parts. The toughness of Nylon along with its low coefficient of friction and good abrasion resistance make it an ideal replacement for a wide variety of materials from metal to rubber. Nylon is easily fabricated and machined into precision parts using standard metalworking equipment. Nylon 101 is FDA, USDA, NSF, and 3A-Dairy compliant. Nylon products are available in both Natural (off-white to beige color) and black, however custom colors are available on a custom basis (please contact us for minimum purchases).
Other attributes of Nylon products include:
- Good mechanical and electrical properties
- High strength, stiffness and toughness
- Easy to machine
- Many grade options available
- Can be cast as finished parts and near net shapes (Contact Modern Plastics)
Engineering specifications for Nylon 101 Sheet are:
- Tensile Strength – 11,500 psi
- Compressive Strength – 12,500 psi
- Water Absorption (saturation) – 0.30%
- Continuous Service Temperature – 210° deg. F
- Resistant to Hydrocarbons, Ketones, Ethers, Ketones, Chlorinated solvents & Alcohols (limited service)
- Flammability rating UL94:V-2
Nylons can absorb up to 7% (by weight) water under high humidity or submerged in water. This can result in dimensional changes up to 2% and a corresponding reduction of physical properties. Proper design techniques can frequently compensate for this factor.
For improved load bearing capability Modern Plastics offers Nylatron® GS Nylon products and various grades of glass-filled Nylon products. For best wear resistance and lowest coefficient of friction, we offer Ertalyte TX® products.
- Mfg name:: Quadrant Engineering Plastic Products
- Sheet Thickness Tolerance: : + / – .005
- Color:: White to Light Beige
- Certified to:: ASTM D4066 PA 0114